I was getting fed up of, I mean inspired by looking at the excessive amount of dressmaking production going on over at Roobeedoo. So last Monday in a vain attempt to not feel sew (get it sew instead of so) inadequate I finished off a dress that I’d cut out last August!
When I found the fabric, finally, it turned out that I had actually done more than I thought which was good and subsequently a tad problematic. When I originally cut out the paper pattern I cut out a size 12 – which is what I was at the time. In the four years since (to last August) I’d gone up to a size 14 so added extra room to the middle (without thinking ‘This will make the neck wider’) and sides.
I’d sewn up the top part of the bodice, which is lined with the main fabric, so all I needed to do was attached the bottom part of the bodice, make up the skirt, add the zip and do the hem.
I remembered that I’d made it bigger as I came to do the back seam and add the zip. As there was no way I was going to start undoing the bodice to take it in at the sides I decided that the easiest thing to do was just to reduce the excess at the centre back which resulted in this…
The back straps being much closer together than at the front but since this is what the front looks like…
yes, a pretty wide neck opening which shows off to perfection my dialysis line, I don’t think I’ll be wearing it without a cardy…
so that solves the problem of anyone noticing that the back is much narrower than the front.
The dress didn’t even cost me anything – I had the zip and thread in and Auntie Eleanor gave me the fabric last year.
Pensive look in the second photo resulting from B taking the pictures. I’ve said before about his point, wait a while, click, can you tell what it is, if so job done approach to photography. So since I’ve now got him to take maybe three of each I don’t have much to choose from.
We also had a camera malfunction. I thought it was bust as I couldn’t get it to come back on next time I tried to use it and couldn’t even blame B as I was the last one to touch it when I looked at the photos B had taken. Turned out this was the problem and when I looked at them again and then exited this option it worked fine – I had the idea to try this while walking Bud this morning. The first proper walk we’ve been on (just the two of us) since ohhhh, last October/November and we even went a bit further than his regular walk – which may be why I had to take an extra painkiller – but it was worth it.